If you’ve just put your house up for sale you are probably buzzing with excitement and anticipation for your first viewing. Making sure your house is wonderfully presented will help your home’s buying appeal. Buyers like to see a house that is clean, well maintained and cared for. Preparing for each viewing like it’s your first one is one of the best things you can do as a seller to help your sale along.
Perhaps you are further down the line and you have had plenty of viewings but no offers and finding it difficult to gather up the motivation for another viewing. Are you thinking – what’s the point? It can be disheartening, but try not to get too down about it, the person that is about to walk through your door could be the one that snaps it up. Each viewing is a step closer to selling your home. Try and dig deep to muster up the enthusiasm you felt when it was the first person who walked through your door. Prepare your home now the way you did then. Keep at it because your hard work will should eventually pay off.
To help, we have collated our top seven tips to prepare for a viewing.
- Create space – Decluttering is the best place to start when preparing your home for a viewing. Make sure your viewer can clearly see the space your home has to offer by getting rid of any clutter. It’s surprising how a clear out can make a home feel lighter. If you are in a rush, grab a washing basket, go through each room quickly and clear and junk into the washing basket. Then hide your washing basket out of sight in your car, garage or shed.
- Clean and freshen up – Clearing space may revel dust and dirt. The next step is to clean your home. Dirt can be really off putting and distracting for a viewer. Let them remember your home for the right reasons and make sure it is clean and shiny from top to bottom. This is especially important in kitchens and bathrooms. Many of us lead very busy lives so if you struggle with time to keep on top of the cleaning, seriously consider employing the services of a cleaner. Yes, it’s an expense but if it takes the stress and hassle away from you and will help you sell your home it is worth it.
- Smell fresh – stay clear of cooking anything with a pungent aroma the day or the day before a viewing. Smells can really linger, no matter how hard you try and get rid of them, so it’s best to avoid smelly food all together. Open up your windows and air your home before a viewing, especially in bedroom and kitchens. Just make sure you close the windows and warm the house up before your viewers arrive. Add some luxury room diffusers dotted around your home, just to keep it smelling fresh.
- Lighting – how you light a room can really add to its ambience. Create a warm and inviting home by adding background light with lamps rather than overhead, harsh lighting. In kitchens turn your cooker hood light on and under the cabinet lights if you have them. Turn on any lamps you have on in your hallway, bedrooms and living room. If it is bright outside, ensure that all curtains and blinds are pulled back as far as possible to let in as much light as you can.
- Fresh bedding – A quick way to freshen up a bedroom is to put clean bedding on. Putting freshly laundered towels in bathrooms is also another quick win.
- Remove any pet paraphyllia – whilst decluttering, get rid of any pet beds, toys and food bowls. Not everyone likes animals, so rather that letting your viewer get distracted by the pet gear, its better to remove it. Whilst you are at it, ask a family member or neighbor to take your dog for a walk.
- Dress your home to impress – finishing your home with a few selected accessories can really add a nice touch. Cushions and throws on chairs, sofas and beds can add colour and texture. Vases of flowers and scented candles can add ambience, colour and scent. If you are looking for inspiration take a look at home magazines such as Ideal Home, look at how the rooms are styled in the photographs and what props and accessories are used.
If you prepare this way before each viewing you can be sure that you are doing your best to maximize your homes appeal. Preparing your home this way will give you a higher chance of a sale.
So now your home is looking amazing, you are ready to accept your viewers. Good luck!
If you are not getting any viewings and wondering what you can do about it, get in touch with us. We would love to have a chat with you about the real reason for this. Call us on Give us a ring on 01324 811 233 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to find