Are you thinking of selling your home and wondering if you should do it now, in December, or wait until next year? Traditionally, December was a quieter time in the property market. Many estate agents would advise to wait until the new year or possibly even spring to sell your home. This advice is now a little outdated. Over the last few years, Rightmove and the increase in popularity of property portals, has completely tipped the way we search for property on its head. Rightmove allows us to search for our next property and have a good old snoop around digitally, from anywhere at any time. We have access to all the houses on the market and can browse to our convenience 24/7.
Rightmove report that Boxing Day onwards is one of their busiest times. Traffic to their site was 26% higher January – March 2017 than it was in October – December 2016. Yes, it dips a bit over Christmas and on New Year’s Eve but, generally, once Christmas is out of the way the trend is an upwards one and continues to rise throughout January. This challenges the view that it is best to wait until December has passed before putting your home up for sale.
For sellers and buyers alike, this is not an opportunity to be missed. You need to jump on this so your home is in front of all these keen buyers searching online. If not, your neighbour’s property could be spotted and offer put in even before yours even hits Rightmove.
So why is this time of year so popular?
If you think about it, Christmas is the one time of year that your home can seem even smaller than usual. Decorations, the Christmas tree, presents, extra visitors and clutter all take up space and can make you feel penned in. It can heighten any frustrations that are already bubbling away about lack of room and can fuel the start or reignite the need to look for a new home.
With the New Year looming and the idea of a fresh start, it is easy to see why people turn to Rightmove as soon as the Christmas celebrations are over. Some may actually use the Christmas holidays and time off work to view houses they like the look of. Others may not want to view a property during this time but, they will certainly be lining up a shortlist to hit as soon as the holidays are over. Either way, most of these people will be looking to search for their next abode using a property portal.
These Rightmove stats suggest that December is a good time to list your property on the site so that you do not miss the opportunity following Boxing Day. If you think about this practically, it means that you need to be up and running and listed on Rightmove before the Christmas shut down. Most estate agents will close on Christmas Eve so, the week leading up to this you, need to make sure that your property is ready to go up for sale and the agent has done their part.
If you are considering putting your home up for sale in December, here’s a few tips to help you maximise your opportunity:
- Speak to your agent ASAP – time is ticking away to be able hit the Boxing Day deadline.
- Make sure there are no Christmas decorations, trees or presents in the property photography, these can distract and make your home seem smaller.
- If we are lucky enough to have snow – do not take external images. If your home doesn’t fly off the shelf then having snow on the ground is a clear indication on how long your house has been on the market and can give off the wrong signals to a potential buyer.
- Tell your agent you want to be on the market by Boxing Day and keep track that they are managing their time so you will hit this date.
- Whilst your home maybe on the market over Christmas, try and avoid viewings. Again, with all the Christmas clutter it can make your home seem smaller and put viewers off. Ask your agent to arrange viewings for after Christmas and ensure you have taken your decorations down. This way you are showing your home off at its best.
- Make the most of Christmas get togethers, let people know that your home is up for sale. People socialise a lot over Christmas and you never know who you may bump into, they also maybe considering a move and your home may just be the perfect one for them.
If you are thinking of selling and want to make the most of the post boxing day rush, then get in touch with us. Be quick though! Time is running out to make the most of the golden opportunity that December brings.
Call us on 01324 811 233 or email email@example.com
For more helpful advice for selling your home, have a look at our other blogs by going to http://alexander-taylor.co.uk/blog/